Ricky Ponting receives ‘Guard of Honour’ from South African team
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Australian batsman Ricky Ponting received a Guard of Honour from the South African team as he walked to the middle to take guard for his final international innings in the third and final Test at Perth on Monday.
Read our tribute to Punter: A MAN WHO FIDDLED WITH PRESSURE, WITH PLEASURE
Check out our: Pic Gallery »
A sizeable crowd had gathered at the WACA on Monday in anticipation of witnessing Ponting bat one last time in international cricket and it rose to its feet as soon as Shane Watson began a long walk off the field after being caught by Graeme Smith.
Ponting was his usual self, getting ready to take guard, adjusting his gloves, sprinting towards the pitch even as all eyes around were focussed firmly on his every move.
Punter acknowledged the gesture shaking hands with Graeme Smith. AB de Villiers gave a pat on his back as he advanced towards the non-strikers’ end.
Ponting announced his retirement last Thursday in an emotional press conference saying his performance wasn’t up to the mark to continue playing cricket at international level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you