Ricky Ponting receives ‘Guard of Honour’ from South African team
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Australian batsman Ricky Ponting received a Guard of Honour from the South African team as he walked to the middle to take guard for his final international innings in the third and final Test at Perth on Monday.
Read our tribute to Punter: A MAN WHO FIDDLED WITH PRESSURE, WITH PLEASURE
Check out our: Pic Gallery »
A sizeable crowd had gathered at the WACA on Monday in anticipation of witnessing Ponting bat one last time in international cricket and it rose to its feet as soon as Shane Watson began a long walk off the field after being caught by Graeme Smith.
Ponting was his usual self, getting ready to take guard, adjusting his gloves, sprinting towards the pitch even as all eyes around were focussed firmly on his every move.
Punter acknowledged the gesture shaking hands with Graeme Smith. AB de Villiers gave a pat on his back as he advanced towards the non-strikers’ end.
Ponting announced his retirement last Thursday in an emotional press conference saying his performance wasn’t up to the mark to continue playing cricket at international level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city