Ricky Ponting rules out Australia return for Ashes
Sydney: Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting has ruled out the likelihood of making a remarkable return from retirement during the Ashes after agreeing to join English county club Surrey this northern summer.
Ponting, who retired from international cricket in December, will join the English county side on a two-month deal from June, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
The Australia-England series begins at Trent Bridge on July 10, and with the Oz set to take an inexperienced batting line-up into the five-match series, Ponting``s knows he could be missed.
The veteran of 168 Tests said it would be strange to be watching the Ashes contest after leading Australia``s past two failed tours to England, but he confirmed he was committed to Surrey only.
Ponting said it will be a very strange experience, adding at some stages only a few hundred miles, or a couple of hours, away there will be a Test match going on between Australia and England and he won``t be a part of it.
Ponting added he has had opportunities to think through those scenarios since he has been retired from international cricket, adding just to be in the country while a series like that is happening will be a lot of fun.
Ponting added once he would be there he would be absolutely 100 per cent dedicated to making sure he does the best he can for Surrey County Cricket Club.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand