Ricky Ponting suffers hamstring soreness week before first Test against Proteas
Sydney: Veteran Australian batsman Ricky Ponting has withdrawn from Tasmania`s Sheffield Shield game in Hobart after being inflicted with a sore hamstring.
Ponting’s injury comes just one week before the first Test against South Africa, which would be played at Brisbane’s Gabba on November 9.
However, Cricket Australia team performance manager Pat Howard said the 37-year-old was still expected to play against the Proteas and described the withdrawal as a ‘precautionary move’.
“This is a precautionary move to ensure Ricky has the best possible preparation for the first Test against South Africa in Brisbane next week,” a leading daily quoted Howard, as saying.
“We’ve opted to withdraw Ricky from the game. If this wasn’t a week out from the first Test then Ricky would continue with the match, but we don’t want to take that risk. We expect Ricky to be fit,” he added.
The 37-year-old spent most of the day fielding in the slips for the Tigers and batted late in the day to make just five runs, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot