Ricky Ponting suffers hamstring soreness week before first Test against Proteas
Sydney: Veteran Australian batsman Ricky Ponting has withdrawn from Tasmania`s Sheffield Shield game in Hobart after being inflicted with a sore hamstring.
Ponting’s injury comes just one week before the first Test against South Africa, which would be played at Brisbane’s Gabba on November 9.
However, Cricket Australia team performance manager Pat Howard said the 37-year-old was still expected to play against the Proteas and described the withdrawal as a ‘precautionary move’.
“This is a precautionary move to ensure Ricky has the best possible preparation for the first Test against South Africa in Brisbane next week,” a leading daily quoted Howard, as saying.
“We’ve opted to withdraw Ricky from the game. If this wasn’t a week out from the first Test then Ricky would continue with the match, but we don’t want to take that risk. We expect Ricky to be fit,” he added.
The 37-year-old spent most of the day fielding in the slips for the Tigers and batted late in the day to make just five runs, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why