Ricky Ponting under more pressure after duck in Gabba Test
Sydney: Veteran batsman Ricky Ponting has come under further pressure after his third duck in four innings against world number one Test team South Africa as Australia`s top order collapsed once again in the ongoing Gabba Test.
The former skipper, who turns 38 next month, has managed double figures just once in his past five innings against the best pace attack in the world.
Australia tumbled to 3-40 late on the third day of the first Test at the Gabba after South Africa scored 450, with JP Duminy unavailable through injury.
Australia will resume this morning at 3-111, still 339 behind, with a plucky Ed Cowan on 49 and skipper Michael Clarke 34, but reclaiming the Test crown from South Africa is already a fast-fading dream.
Century maker Jacques Kallis was delighted his side had picked Ponting for another duck.
“He’s a world class player, one of the top players in the world. He was a big wicket for us,” a website quoted Kallis, as saying.
“It’s important we keep putting pressure on the Australian top order and asking them questions,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre