Ricky Ponting under more pressure after duck in Gabba Test
Sydney: Veteran batsman Ricky Ponting has come under further pressure after his third duck in four innings against world number one Test team South Africa as Australia`s top order collapsed once again in the ongoing Gabba Test.
The former skipper, who turns 38 next month, has managed double figures just once in his past five innings against the best pace attack in the world.
Australia tumbled to 3-40 late on the third day of the first Test at the Gabba after South Africa scored 450, with JP Duminy unavailable through injury.
Australia will resume this morning at 3-111, still 339 behind, with a plucky Ed Cowan on 49 and skipper Michael Clarke 34, but reclaiming the Test crown from South Africa is already a fast-fading dream.
Century maker Jacques Kallis was delighted his side had picked Ponting for another duck.
“He’s a world class player, one of the top players in the world. He was a big wicket for us,” a website quoted Kallis, as saying.
“It’s important we keep putting pressure on the Australian top order and asking them questions,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?