Ricky Ponting under more pressure after duck in Gabba Test
Sydney: Veteran batsman Ricky Ponting has come under further pressure after his third duck in four innings against world number one Test team South Africa as Australia`s top order collapsed once again in the ongoing Gabba Test.
The former skipper, who turns 38 next month, has managed double figures just once in his past five innings against the best pace attack in the world.
Australia tumbled to 3-40 late on the third day of the first Test at the Gabba after South Africa scored 450, with JP Duminy unavailable through injury.
Australia will resume this morning at 3-111, still 339 behind, with a plucky Ed Cowan on 49 and skipper Michael Clarke 34, but reclaiming the Test crown from South Africa is already a fast-fading dream.
Century maker Jacques Kallis was delighted his side had picked Ponting for another duck.
“He’s a world class player, one of the top players in the world. He was a big wicket for us,” a website quoted Kallis, as saying.
“It’s important we keep putting pressure on the Australian top order and asking them questions,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials