Ritchie set for legal tussle to resolve racist speech row
Sydney: Former Australian Test batsman Greg Ritchie has sent a letter of demand to the South Australian Cricket Association (SACA) for terminating a contract for him to speak during the Adelaide Test and damaging his reputation.
There is now a very real chance this matter will have to go to the courts to be resolved and Cricket Australia (CA) is likely to be called to answer questions about its involvement.
Ritchie, who is represented by fellow former Test player Bruce Francis, has been shocked by the fallout from his apparent ban from speaking at Cricket Australia functions.
It is understood that in one day, through two phone calls, Ritchie lost bookings worth 28,000 pounds because of the issue.
SACA chief executive Keith Bradshaw confirmed on Tuesday Ritchie had made contact and said the SACA would seek to find an cordial conclusion to the matter.
“SACA confirms it is in receipt of a letter from Mr Ritchie that is now under consideration,” News.com.au quoted Bradshwo, as saying.
“Every effort will be made to ensure Mr Ritchie``s concerns are dealt with appropriately,” he added.
The saga started after a South African journalist, Telford Vice, described one of three speeches Ritchie gave in the time surrounding the Brisbane Test as ‘a racist rant’ because Ritchie retold an old anecdote from the 1980s involving Kepler Wessels, which involved the word ‘kaffir’.
It is a word considered derogatory to black people in South Africa, but is likely to have been more flippantly used 30 years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried