Rixon to coach Australia in ODI series
Sydney: Cricket Australia says Steve Rixon will coach the Australian team in its one day internationals against Afghanistan and Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates later this month, temporarily taking the reins from head coach Mickey Arthur.
Australia will play Afghanistan at Sharjah on August 25 ahead of three one-day matches against Pakistan on August 28, August 31 and September 3.
Arthur will join the Australian team in time to watch the third one-dayer and will resume as head coach for the three Twenty20 internationals against Pakistan from September 5.
Cricket Australia said the decision to hand the coaching role to Rixon followed the recommendations of the recent performance review of Australian cricket.
"Part of the broader scope of the new Australian team head coach role since the (performance review) was conducted was to have a wider view over the team`s plans and how we prepare and we have a very important T20 tournament coming up," Arthur said.
"I`ll spend the time away from the team to really hone our T20 plans and study the opposition ahead of the ICC World Twenty20," he added.
"We have great experience and harmony within our support staff group now and I know that Steve will do a terrific job in partnership with Justin Langer and Ali de Winter while I`m away."
Rixon said he was looking forward to the opportunity to coach Australia and would concentrate on pressing on with plans already in place.
"Of course you look forward to opportunities like this," he said. "It`s not every day you get to coach the Australian cricket team and I`m looking forward to that extra responsibility and working with (captain) Michael Clarke.
"In saying that, my job will be to simply carry on with all the good work and planning that has been done in recent times and hopefully hand back over to Mickey after four good wins."
While coach, Rixon will act as a selector as Arthur normally would.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar