Rixon to coach Australia in ODI series
Sydney: Cricket Australia says Steve Rixon will coach the Australian team in its one day internationals against Afghanistan and Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates later this month, temporarily taking the reins from head coach Mickey Arthur.
Australia will play Afghanistan at Sharjah on August 25 ahead of three one-day matches against Pakistan on August 28, August 31 and September 3.
Arthur will join the Australian team in time to watch the third one-dayer and will resume as head coach for the three Twenty20 internationals against Pakistan from September 5.
Cricket Australia said the decision to hand the coaching role to Rixon followed the recommendations of the recent performance review of Australian cricket.
"Part of the broader scope of the new Australian team head coach role since the (performance review) was conducted was to have a wider view over the team`s plans and how we prepare and we have a very important T20 tournament coming up," Arthur said.
"I`ll spend the time away from the team to really hone our T20 plans and study the opposition ahead of the ICC World Twenty20," he added.
"We have great experience and harmony within our support staff group now and I know that Steve will do a terrific job in partnership with Justin Langer and Ali de Winter while I`m away."
Rixon said he was looking forward to the opportunity to coach Australia and would concentrate on pressing on with plans already in place.
"Of course you look forward to opportunities like this," he said. "It`s not every day you get to coach the Australian cricket team and I`m looking forward to that extra responsibility and working with (captain) Michael Clarke.
"In saying that, my job will be to simply carry on with all the good work and planning that has been done in recent times and hopefully hand back over to Mickey after four good wins."
While coach, Rixon will act as a selector as Arthur normally would.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account