Ross Taylor joins CPL
Bridgetown: New Zealand batsman Ross Taylor has become the latest international cricketer to link up with the inaugural Caribbean Premier League (CPL) set to begin in July.
Taylor, one of the hottest commodities in Twenty20 cricket, has been confirmed as the tournament`s third international franchise player, organisers announced on Thursday.
The former New Zealand captain has played in the Indian Premier League (IPL) since its inception in 2008, with spells at Royal Challengers Bangalore, Rajasthan Royals, Delhi Daredevils and, for this year, the Pune Warriors.
"I am very excited about playing in the first ever edition of the Caribbean Premier League," declared Taylor, who can lay claim to the fastest Test hundred in his country`s history, reaching three figures against Australia in Hamilton from only 81 balls in 2010.
"As current World Champions, the West Indies have been a force in T20 cricket over the past couple of years, and CPL should help uncover new international superstars in the mould of Kieron Pollard and Sunil Narine."
Taylor, part of the side that reached successive ICC Cricket World Cups semifinals in 2007 and 2011, as well as the final of the ICC Champions Trophy in 2009, has a career strike-rate of 142.79 in the shortest form of the game.
"The Caribbean is one of my favourite places to play cricket," said Taylor.
"With the passionate crowds, the great atmosphere and the athletic style of play, I`m looking forward to being a part of this exciting competition."
Taylor joins a list of world-class players who have already been confirmed for this year`s inaugural CPL.
Already contracted are Australian legends Ricky Ponting and Adam Gilchrist, alongside the six confirmed West Indies franchise players: Darren Sammy, Dwayne Bravo, Chris Gayle, Sunil Narine, Kieron Pollard and Marlon Samuels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars