Royals move Bombay HC against BCCI

Last Updated: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 13:58

Zeecric Bureau

Mumbai: Rajasthan Royals, the Indian Premier League (IPL) team which has been barred from playing in the fourth season of the extravagant league by the Board of Control for Cricket (BCCI), filed an appeal in the Bombay High Court against the board on Monday.

Royals, which won the inaugural season of the IPL in 2008, had its contract terminated after BCCI charged that it had changed its shareholding pattern without consulting the board or the IPL governing council.

The promoters of Rajasthan Royals have hired Supreme Court lawyer Harish Salve to fight for their case.

Salve, who had been out of the country for a while, returned late on Saturday and has reportedly met Royals co-owner Manoj Badale in New Delhi on Sunday. The decision to move to the High Court was taken during the meeting.

When contacted, Badale told an Indian newspaper, “As a group of overseas investors promoting Indian cricket, I still fail to see what we have done wrong. We will now have to put our full faith in the legal system.”

Ranjit Barthakur, chairman of Jaipur IPL Pvt Ltd, said; “As an early promoter of Indian cricket, I am saddened the situation has come to this. Manoj and I have made multiple attempts to meet the BCCI without success. So, legal recourse is the only option.” Salve was, however, unavailable for comment.

Suresh Chellaram, a 44% stakeholder in the franchise, is suspended IPL chief Lalit Modi`s brother-in-law. However, when asked, BCCI chief Shashank Manohar had insisted, “The decision to sack Royals has not been taken because of any individual.”



First Published: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 00:00

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus