Ryan Hinds cleared of sexual assault charges
Bridgetown (Barbados): Barbados and West Indies cricketer Ryan Hinds has been cleared of sexual assault charges, a statement by the West Indies Players’ Association (WIPA) said.
Chief Magistrate Pamela Beckles Friday dismissed sexual assault charges against Hinds after the complainant in the matter informed the court that she would not be presenting evidence, reports CMC.
Hinds, who was represented by Queens Counsel Patterson Cheltenham, was not present at the hearing.
“The dropping of these charges is an immense weight off my shoulders,” said Hinds.
The charges stemmed from an incident involving a 28-year-old woman two year ago.
Hinds had maintained his innocence from the outset, WIPA said.
“There were days when I thought there was no end in sight for this matter but they ( family and lawyer) kept me grounded and focused throughout,” said Hinds.
“I am now very keen to try and regain a place in the Barbados national team”.
WIPA President Wavell Hinds said both the West Indies Cricket Board (BCA) and the Barbados Cricket Association (BCA) have been notified of the result of the hearing.
“WIPA wishes Ryan every success as he seeks to rebuild his first-class and international careers,” said Hinds.
“He has demonstrated before that he has the ability to bounce back from adversity, and we have no doubt that he will do so again.”
Hinds played 15 Tests and 14 ODIs for West Indies but has not represented them since July 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!