Ryder needs to re-earn respect on return: McCullum
Wellington: New Zealand vice-captain Brendon McCullum has said that troubled batsman Jesse Ryder will need to "re-earn" the respect of the team whenever he makes a comeback to the international fold.
Ryder chose not to seek a contract for the 2012-2013 season with New Zealand Cricket this week to concentrate on personal, health and fitness goals.
"Who knows what the game`s got installed for Jesse in the next 6-12 months...He`s got to do what makes him happy, get himself back to where he needs to be. His talent his unquestionable but I guess his respect within the team needs to be continued to be re-earned," McCullum was quoted as saying by `Radiosport`.
"You want to know every time you go into battle the guy standing next to you is equally committed as you are and I guess that`s been questioned on a couple of occasions with Jess and we now know there have been a few issues that he`s had to deal with and I`m talking out of school here because I`ve told him honestly what I think as well and I`m sure he won`t mind me commenting on it.
"Jess knows he`s got to earn some of that respect back from some of the guys and I think that`s quite right just like anyone has to gain respect when they come into the team," McCullum added.
The top-order batsmen has not played international cricket since the one-day series against South Africa. He was suspended for one match during that series for drinking alcohol while injured.
McCullum said Ryder just needs to do what makes him happy and New Zealand Cricket will surely benefit if the opener makes a return.
"He`s got a tremendous amount of talent and everyone wants him back on the park. He`s just got a couple of blemishes he`s got to iron out. I`m sure if he can do that then New Zealand Cricket and Jesse are both going to benefit from it.
"We all know what the pot of the gold is at the end of the rainbow which is his talent and his performances in key situations. We hope that overrides anything else and we`ve just got to wait and see and time will tell I guess. Six months in this game is a long time so we`ll see how it unfolds and we wish him all the best," he said.
Ryder recently played for Pune Warriors in the Indian Premier League, where he scored 256 runs in 11 innings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo