SA aim for whitewash against England to earn No 1 Test ranking
Dubai: South Africa will be aiming to carry the winning momentum from their ODI series into the three-Test series against New Zealand starting in Dunedin tomorrow, as it will earn them the status of the No. 1 Test ranked side in the world in the ICC Test Championship table.
If South Africa manage to become numero uno, it will be the first time since the Test rankings were introduced in 2001.
Currently the second-ranked South Africa trails top-ranked England by just one rating point and to move ahead of Andrew Strauss`s side, the Proteas will have to win all the three Tests.
Only a 3-0 win will put South Africa one ratings point ahead of England on 119, while any other series result will not be enough to help them make history.
However, if South Africa fail to achieve the desired result, then England will retain the mace it won at The Oval last year after defeating India 4-0.
India are currently in third position in the ranking table with 111 points.
Meanwhile, England and Sri Lanka also go head-to-head in a two-Test series from 26 March in Galle, but the series outcome will not affected the Test Championship table as the series will conclude on April 7 in Colombo while the cut-off date for the Rankings is April 1.
But whichever team tops the chart, it will be presented with a cash award of USD 175,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion