Case filed against PM, Sachin Tendulkar over Bharat Ratna award
Muzaffarpur: A case was on Tuesday filed in a local court here challenging the selection of Sachin Tendulkar for Bharat Ratna and charging the Prime Minister and Union home minister with hurting peoples` sentiments.
The iconic cricketer too has been named as an accused in the case filed under Indian Penal Code Sections 420 (offences relating to cheating and dishonesty) 419 (punishment for cheating by personation), 417 (punishment for cheating), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace) and 120(B) (punishment of criminal conspiracy).
The case filed in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate S P Singh by local lawyer Sudhir Kumar Ojha said the selection of Sachin Tendulkar for the country`s highest civilian honour and not legendary hockey player Dhyanchand has hurt the sentiments of the people of the country.
The petitioner has charged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, Union Sports Minister Bhanwar Jitendra Singh and secretary to the Union Sports Minsitry with hurting the people`s sentiments by deleting Dhyanchand`s name to accomodate Tendulkar`s wish for the highest national honours.
The case has been admitted by the CJM, who fixed December 10 as the date of hearing.
The petitioner has made JD(U) MP Shivanand Tiwari a witness in the case.
Tiwari had yesterday protested against the selection of Tendulkar on the ground that the star cricketer did not deserve the country`s highest civilian award as he had made millions out of playing the game in contrast to Dhayanchand, who had done the country proud by leading the hockey team to gold medals in successive Olympic Games in the 1920s and 1930s.
The UPA government had announced its decision to confer Bharat Ratna on Tendulkar to honour his contributions to cricket within hours of his bidding adieu to cricket last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?