Dhyan Chand deserved Bharat Ratna before Sachin: Milkha
Noida: India`s athletics icon Milkha Singh is glad that the doors have been opened for sportspersons to receive India`s highest civilian award “Bharat Ratna” but would have been happier if hockey legend Dhyan Chand was the first recipient instead of Sachin Tendulkar.
"I am very happy that the doors have been opened for sportspersons. But I think the first Bharat Ratna should have been given to Dhyan Chand because of what he has achieved. I am not against Sachin getting the award but Dhyan Chand deserved it first," said Milkha, who is India`s only male athlete to win a Commonwealth Games track and field event way back in 1958 in Cardiff.
The government announced last week that batting great Tendulkar, who retired from all forms of cricket, will become the first sportsperson and the youngest to receive the award.
Milkha, on the sidelines of an event at a School, said Saturday that Dhyan Chand`s exploits should not be forgotten even 34 years after his death. The hockey wizard was part of the teams that won three Olympic golds in 1928, 1932 and 1936.
"A sportsperson is a nation`s ambassador when they go to participate in the Olympics, so they should also be given these awards. Dhyan Chand passed away long back but we should not forget what he has done for the country. You must understand that to get an Olympic medal is a huge achievement," added Milkha, who missed the 400m bronze in the 1960 Rome Olympics in a photo finish.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed