Dhyan Chand deserved Bharat Ratna before Sachin: Milkha
Noida: India`s athletics icon Milkha Singh is glad that the doors have been opened for sportspersons to receive India`s highest civilian award “Bharat Ratna” but would have been happier if hockey legend Dhyan Chand was the first recipient instead of Sachin Tendulkar.
"I am very happy that the doors have been opened for sportspersons. But I think the first Bharat Ratna should have been given to Dhyan Chand because of what he has achieved. I am not against Sachin getting the award but Dhyan Chand deserved it first," said Milkha, who is India`s only male athlete to win a Commonwealth Games track and field event way back in 1958 in Cardiff.
The government announced last week that batting great Tendulkar, who retired from all forms of cricket, will become the first sportsperson and the youngest to receive the award.
Milkha, on the sidelines of an event at a School, said Saturday that Dhyan Chand`s exploits should not be forgotten even 34 years after his death. The hockey wizard was part of the teams that won three Olympic golds in 1928, 1932 and 1936.
"A sportsperson is a nation`s ambassador when they go to participate in the Olympics, so they should also be given these awards. Dhyan Chand passed away long back but we should not forget what he has done for the country. You must understand that to get an Olympic medal is a huge achievement," added Milkha, who missed the 400m bronze in the 1960 Rome Olympics in a photo finish.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest