Dhyan Chand should have got Bharat Ratna first: Paswan
New Delhi: Former union minister and current Rajya Sabha MP Ram Vilas Paswan has stated that legendary hockey player Major Dhyan Chand should have got the prestigious Bharat Ratna award ahead of cricketer Sachin Tendulkar.
"Major Dhyan Chand should have been the first recipient of the Bharat Ratna when it was decided that the sportspersons will be conferred with the highest civilian honour," Paswan told PTI after attending an election rally in Madhya Pradesh.
"Had Tendulkar got the award for playing a game like hockey, we would have been happy," Paswan stated.
For Paswan, cricket is a "colonial game", which according to him is not India`s sport.
"As far as sports is concerned, kabbaddi, football, volleyball and kho-kho are essentially the Indian sports. Cricket has never been India`s sport as it is a game of the elites," he added.
The 67-year-old veteran politician further added that none of the first world countries play cricket.
"Cricket is still played in the erstwhile British colonies only. The United States does not play cricket neither does Russia, China, Japan or Germany. It was only in the British colonies that cricket was played."
"The Bharat Ratna should only be given to social workers and people who have contributed to bring about a change in the society," The former Railways minister, Paswan said.
Paswan also questioned as to how does a country get benefit from someone playing cricket.
"It`s ok that you play cricket, but what have you contributed towards the society at large while playing? Nobody plays cricket for free and how does a country get benefit from that?" he questioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt