MI fans club wants BCCI to retire Tendulkar`s jersey No 10
Mumbai: IPL franchise Mumbai Indians have launched a campaign to retire Sachin Tendulkar`s revered jersey No 10 which was worn by him during his illustrious 23-year-long ODI career.
Mumbai Indians fans club are running a campaign @MIpaltan `Retire the Jersey No 10` on Twitter as a mark of respect to Tendulkar`s ODI contribution.
In soccer, Jersey No 10 has normally been donned by the best player of a particular team. Someone like legendary Pele found that his No 10 jersey was later worn by Zico, Rivaldo, Kaka while Diego Maradona`s No 10 jersey has been inherited by none other than Lionel Messi.
"It`s a message that the No 10 belongs to the master only. When Sachin can do all this in ODI`s for us, can`t we pay him back in a way no Indian sportsman was ever honoured? Let`s #RetireTheJerseyNo10," said their twitter handle.
"Remember how we used to stay glued to the TV when Sachin used to bat in ODIs? Let`s showcase our tribute to the legend.#RetireTheJerseyNo10.
"Did you know that Sachin has 185 consecutive ODI appearances? Amazing fitness and consistency. Let`s honour the legend. #RetireTheJerseyNo10. Once the jersey number is retired, no player from the team may use that number. Show ur respect for Sachin & tweet with #RetireTheJerseyNo10," said the posts on their account.
Another post read, "No one else deserves to have No.10 on his back except "The Master" #RetireTheJerseyNo10. After the player retires, retiring his jersey is an honor a team bestows on a player."
Taking a jersey out of circulation as a dedication to a team`s legend is a tradition followed world over by the football clubs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145