Milkha, Bindra congratulate Sachin Tendulkar
Chandigarh: Legendary athlete Milkha Singh on Saturday congratulated Sachin Tendulkar after he brought the curtain down on a glorious career and said the iconic cricketer deserved to be conferred with the Bharat Ratna.
"He deserved it. Finally, a sportsperson will get this award. With this, it will pave the way for other sportspersons who can now hope to get the highest recognition for their efforts and bringing glory to their country," the `Flying Sikh` said.
Milkha said that his fight with the government over the years has been that sportspersons should be given due recognition for their achievements as they are the "true ambassadors" of the nation.
"The government should start giving due recognition to its sporting heroes so that the coming generation feels inspired," the 83-year-old said over phone.
Milkha, however, also said that while Tendulkar deserved the honour, it would have been good if hockey legend Dhyan Chand too had been given this award.
"Dhyan Chand also deserved to be given a Bharat Ratna, but he has not been given. Hockey is our national game and Dhyan Chand took it to glorious heights and brought so much glory to our nation. If they have given it to Tendulkar, I think Chand too deserves it," he said.
89-year-old hockey legend Balbir Singh Sr also congratulated Tendulkar.
"I congratulate Sachin. The Bharat Ratna award is well deserved and a timely recognition. He is an inspiration to coming generations," the Olympian said.
Olympic gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra, who is currently training in Munich, also heaped praise on Tendulkar for being chosen for the country`s highest civilian award.
Bindra, the first Indian to win an individual Olympic gold, said he was thrilled to know that Tendulkar had been chosen for the award.
He said that it`s a great honour that a sportsperson had been chosen for such an award, and the batting legend deserved it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?