Sachin Tendulkar to be awarded Bharat Ratna, to address media today
Zee Media Bureau/Feroz Khan
Mumbai: Legendary batsman Sachin Tendulkar, who walked into cricketing sunset in Mumbai on Saturday, will address the media here today.
On Saturday in the presence of full house Wankhede crowd, Tendulkar signed off in style as India registered another big win over West Indies in Tests pocketing the two-match series 2-0.
Century was expected from the Master in the Mumbai Test. However, the 40-year-old didn’t bring a fairytale end to his career but still dazzled everyone with his sparkling knock of 74 runs before walking back to the pavilion one last time on Friday.
Hours after his retirement, the Indian government announced that Tendulkar will be conferred with the prestigious Bharat Ratna, nation’s highest civilian honour.
Tendulkar is the youngest and is the first ever sportsperson to receive the award.
In his 24-year-long career, Tendulkar represented India in record 200 Tests while becoming the owner of numerous cricketing records.
The press conference is scheduled to begin at 4 pm (IST).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Ireland and France urge quick 'Brexit' from European Union
- Mehbooba Mufti meets families affected by Kashmir violence
- Thousands bid emotional farewell as hockey legend Mohammed Shahid laid to rest
- Kudankulam unit 2 physical start-up process begun: Sources
- Derecognise AAP in wake of its activist's suicide: BJP