Tendulkar getting Bharat Ratna big day for Indian cricket: Farooq
Jammu: Union Minister and Jammu and Kashmir Cricket Association President Farooq Abdullah on Tuesday said conferring Bharat Ratna to Sachin Tendulkar was a big day for cricket as he made India shine in the game.
"It (awarding Sachin with Bharat Ratna by President today) is big day for cricket. Today big people including one top scientist and another Sachin Tendulkar are getting Bharat Ratna," Abdullah told reporters here.
"It is a big thing for Indian cricket, because he made India shine in the world of cricket," he added.
Abdullah awarded Parveez Rasool-led Ranji team of Jammu and Kashmir here today. "Farooq gave away momentos and cheques worth Rs 35 lakh to players and team officials for their best performance in reaching to quarterfinals in Ranji last year," JKCA Press and Media in-charge Ranjeet Kalra said.
"The day was chosen keeping in mind the significance of the day as Sachin was awarded with Bharat Ratna by President today," Kalra said.
Tendulkar and eminent scientist Prof C N R Rao were today conferred the Bharat Ratna at a brief function at Rashtrapati Bhavan`s Durbar Hall in New Delhi.
Tendulkar, who retired from international cricket last year, is the first sportsman to be bestowed with the honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'