Tendulkar`s decision to quit ODIs was taken in last 72 hours
New Delhi: Sachin Tendulkar`s decision to retire from the ODI format was taken over the "last 72 hours" though he formally informed the BCCI only last night.
According to a source close to the cricketer, the eventual decision was taken in the last three days with BCCI president N Srinivasan being informed only last night.
"Once he was back in Mumbai after the Nagpur Test, he switched off his cell phone and became incommunicado for at least three days. The only possible way to contact him was through Anjali`s (wife) number as he wanted some time to himself," a very close friend of Tendulkar revealed on condition of anonymity.
"By Friday night, he had intimated his family and close group of friends that he wants to quit from ODIs. Accordingly, he informed BCCI president N Srinivasan last night about his decision to retire from ODIs making it clear that he doesn`t want to play in the ODIs against Pakistan," the source added.
There are strong indications that Tendulkar would start his preparations for the four-match Test series against Australia by playing in Mumbai`s final Ranji Trophy group league game against Gujarat to be played in Mumbai from December 29-January 1.
Asked about the retirement from Test cricket, the source added, "Any decision regarding that will be only taken after he assesses his performance against Australians. The four Test against Aussies will make it 198 Tests and if he does well, he might just think about going to South Africa to complete 200 Tests."
Earlier, BCCI secretary Sanjay Jagdale said ,"It was not sudden. He informed us before the selection about his decision."
"He spoke to me and the president about his decision. Naturally he must have been (emotional) I can`t say we just spoke on the phone."
"What he has expressed is his concern that India has to prepare for the next World Cup," the BCCI`s chief administrative officer Ratnakar Shetty added. "From that point of view, he felt that it was time that he retired."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India