Tendulkar`s decision to quit ODIs was taken in last 72 hours
New Delhi: Sachin Tendulkar`s decision to retire from the ODI format was taken over the "last 72 hours" though he formally informed the BCCI only last night.
According to a source close to the cricketer, the eventual decision was taken in the last three days with BCCI president N Srinivasan being informed only last night.
"Once he was back in Mumbai after the Nagpur Test, he switched off his cell phone and became incommunicado for at least three days. The only possible way to contact him was through Anjali`s (wife) number as he wanted some time to himself," a very close friend of Tendulkar revealed on condition of anonymity.
"By Friday night, he had intimated his family and close group of friends that he wants to quit from ODIs. Accordingly, he informed BCCI president N Srinivasan last night about his decision to retire from ODIs making it clear that he doesn`t want to play in the ODIs against Pakistan," the source added.
There are strong indications that Tendulkar would start his preparations for the four-match Test series against Australia by playing in Mumbai`s final Ranji Trophy group league game against Gujarat to be played in Mumbai from December 29-January 1.
Asked about the retirement from Test cricket, the source added, "Any decision regarding that will be only taken after he assesses his performance against Australians. The four Test against Aussies will make it 198 Tests and if he does well, he might just think about going to South Africa to complete 200 Tests."
Earlier, BCCI secretary Sanjay Jagdale said ,"It was not sudden. He informed us before the selection about his decision."
"He spoke to me and the president about his decision. Naturally he must have been (emotional) I can`t say we just spoke on the phone."
"What he has expressed is his concern that India has to prepare for the next World Cup," the BCCI`s chief administrative officer Ratnakar Shetty added. "From that point of view, he felt that it was time that he retired."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan