Tendulkar`s retirement a big loss to world cricket: Saqlain
New Delhi: Former Pakistan spinner Saqlain Mushtaq today said Sachin Tendulkar`s retirement from Test cricket is a "big loss" to world cricket.
"Sachin`s retirement is a big loss to world cricket. He is not only an amazing player but a great human being as well. I have a lot of respect for him," Saqlain.
Tendulkar will bid adieu to the game after playing his 200th Test against the West Indies in Mumbai next month.
Saqlain, who would always be remembered for his 10-wicket match haul that was instrumental in his team handing a 12-run defeat to India in the 1999 Chennai Test match, said it was an "honour" playing against Tendulkar and he enjoyed bowling to the legendary batsman.
"I am lucky to have played against him. It`s been an honour to have bowled to Sachin...Sometimes I got the better of him," he said.
Saqlain, famous for inventing the `doosra`, had been training the West Indies slow bowlers on the art of bowling the delivery at a special camp in Barbados ahead of their tour to India.
Saqlain was part of a high performance camp in Barbados, where he shared tips on how to breach the defence of Indian batsmen. However, Saqlain, a veteran of 49 Tests and 169 ODIs, will not be travelling with the Caribbean team to India as he will take up the job of spin coach with Bangladesh.
"India is a very tough team at home and this series will be an emotional one for them. To be able to win in India, you must be mentally and physically fit. You need to know your game very well. Playing against Sachin, our bowlers must have the confidence to beat a player of his stature," he said.
"India, at this time, is the best team in the world. They have a winning mentality. It`s difficult to beat them at home," he added.
On spin bowling scenario, Saqlain admitted the retirements of Shane Warne and Muttiah Muralitharan has left a huge vacuum.
"...But bowlers like Saeed Ajmal, R Ashwin,Graeme Swann and Shane Shilingford are performing well."
Saqlain said the on-field rivalry between India and Pakistan is bigger than Ashes and that they should play each other on regular basis.
"India and Pakistan should definitely play each other on regular basis as this rivalry is bigger than the Ashes. I feel not having Pakistani players in the IPL is a loss for cricket. I don`t know why they are not allowed to be a part of it. IPL should support the sport by giving all the players a chance to play," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon