There is no one like Sachin: Achrekar
Mumbai: Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar`s coach Ramakant Achrekar on Thursday reiterated that there is no one like Sachin and took pride that he has served the nation for a long time.
Speaking at the inauguration of Nyuzmakers Cricket Challenge, a tournament for jewellery retailers, a frail Achrekar simply said: "There is no one like Sachin."
However, the 80-year-old Achrekar could only mumble softly and had to be helped by a close family friend Milind Gurav to communicate his feelings about Tendulkar`s retirement.
When asked about Sachin`s recent retirement, Achrekar said the timing he chose to retire is right.
"Sachin Tendulkar has served the nation for a long time. The timing he has chosen to retire from One-Day Internationals (ODI) is right. I am certain that he will continue to serve the nation through Test cricket and will carry forward the legacy by passing on his experience to youngsters," he said.
A recipient of the Dronacharya Award for his contribution to Indian cricket, Achrekar had expressed shock over Tendulkar`s retirement news in December last year. Achrekar had said that he wanted Tendulkar to continue playing in ODIs.
"He should have continued playing in all formats. I wish to see him play as long as I live," Achrekar had said.
Tendulkar Dec 23 closed a major chapter of his illustrious career by announcing his retirement from ODIs. His decision following days of speculation came moments before the selectors announced the Indian team for the limited overs series against Pakistan starting Dec 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional