Time has come for Sachin Tendulkar to retire: Amarnath, Vengsarkar
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Former India cricketer and member of selection committee Mohinder Amarnath has said that Sachin Tendulkar should quit international cricket as he no longer can play the way he used to in the past.
"Sachin is a great cricketer. He has been playing for many years. Now he cannot play the way he was playing earlier. The time comes for everybody," he was quoted as saying by The Times of India.
Former India captain Dilip Vengsarkar echoed Amarnath’s view saying Tendulkar cannot dominate the bowlers with the same ruthlessness when he was young.
"Sachin is a fantastic cricketer. He has contributed a lot for Indian cricket. However, he is now 39 years old. He will continue scoring runs, but not with the same speed. He will not dominate as he used to in the past," he was quoted as saying.
Tendulkar is under severe criticism for his failure to score runs in the past one year leading to suggestions that he should take retirement from international cricket.
Amarnath also raised questions over MS Dhoni;s performance saying he hasn’t done anything in recent memory that justifies his continuation as the Test skipper.
"Dhoni doesn't find a place in the team. What has he done for the team in the last one year? The selection committee does not have guts to remove Dhoni," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’