Time has come for Sachin Tendulkar to retire: Amarnath, Vengsarkar
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Former India cricketer and member of selection committee Mohinder Amarnath has said that Sachin Tendulkar should quit international cricket as he no longer can play the way he used to in the past.
"Sachin is a great cricketer. He has been playing for many years. Now he cannot play the way he was playing earlier. The time comes for everybody," he was quoted as saying by The Times of India.
Former India captain Dilip Vengsarkar echoed Amarnath’s view saying Tendulkar cannot dominate the bowlers with the same ruthlessness when he was young.
"Sachin is a fantastic cricketer. He has contributed a lot for Indian cricket. However, he is now 39 years old. He will continue scoring runs, but not with the same speed. He will not dominate as he used to in the past," he was quoted as saying.
Tendulkar is under severe criticism for his failure to score runs in the past one year leading to suggestions that he should take retirement from international cricket.
Amarnath also raised questions over MS Dhoni;s performance saying he hasn’t done anything in recent memory that justifies his continuation as the Test skipper.
"Dhoni doesn't find a place in the team. What has he done for the team in the last one year? The selection committee does not have guts to remove Dhoni," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH