Time has come for Sachin Tendulkar to retire: Amarnath, Vengsarkar
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Former India cricketer and member of selection committee Mohinder Amarnath has said that Sachin Tendulkar should quit international cricket as he no longer can play the way he used to in the past.
"Sachin is a great cricketer. He has been playing for many years. Now he cannot play the way he was playing earlier. The time comes for everybody," he was quoted as saying by The Times of India.
Former India captain Dilip Vengsarkar echoed Amarnath’s view saying Tendulkar cannot dominate the bowlers with the same ruthlessness when he was young.
"Sachin is a fantastic cricketer. He has contributed a lot for Indian cricket. However, he is now 39 years old. He will continue scoring runs, but not with the same speed. He will not dominate as he used to in the past," he was quoted as saying.
Tendulkar is under severe criticism for his failure to score runs in the past one year leading to suggestions that he should take retirement from international cricket.
Amarnath also raised questions over MS Dhoni;s performance saying he hasn’t done anything in recent memory that justifies his continuation as the Test skipper.
"Dhoni doesn't find a place in the team. What has he done for the team in the last one year? The selection committee does not have guts to remove Dhoni," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why