Time has come for Sachin Tendulkar to retire: Amarnath, Vengsarkar
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Former India cricketer and member of selection committee Mohinder Amarnath has said that Sachin Tendulkar should quit international cricket as he no longer can play the way he used to in the past.
"Sachin is a great cricketer. He has been playing for many years. Now he cannot play the way he was playing earlier. The time comes for everybody," he was quoted as saying by The Times of India.
Former India captain Dilip Vengsarkar echoed Amarnath’s view saying Tendulkar cannot dominate the bowlers with the same ruthlessness when he was young.
"Sachin is a fantastic cricketer. He has contributed a lot for Indian cricket. However, he is now 39 years old. He will continue scoring runs, but not with the same speed. He will not dominate as he used to in the past," he was quoted as saying.
Tendulkar is under severe criticism for his failure to score runs in the past one year leading to suggestions that he should take retirement from international cricket.
Amarnath also raised questions over MS Dhoni;s performance saying he hasn’t done anything in recent memory that justifies his continuation as the Test skipper.
"Dhoni doesn't find a place in the team. What has he done for the team in the last one year? The selection committee does not have guts to remove Dhoni," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'