Sachin for integrating sports, education; Sibal responds positively
New Delhi: If things go according to plan, cricketing icon Sachin Tendulkar may soon be involved in a big way in promotion of sports in schools and higher education system.
Expressing his desire to work closely with the government to integrate sports into the education system, Tendulkar has written a letter to the HRD Ministry which has welcomed his offer.
Responding positively to his initiative, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal has invited him to make a presentation before the Ministry.
"We welcome Sachin Tendulkar`s proposal and I have already written to him inviting him for a presentation," Sibal said.
"The Ministry does not decide on the curriculum, it`s either NCERT or CBSE. After we receive the presentation, we will send it to NCERT and CBSE and see how to take it forward," he said.
Tendulkar is expected to make a detailed presentation following which his suggestion on integration of sports with education would be looked into by NCERT and CBSE, a Ministry official said.
39-year-old Tendulkar, in his letter to Sibal last week, stressed on honing the potential of the younger generation and nurturing their talent as he felt that sports is being neglected in educational institutions.
His suggestions include a road map for complete overhaul of the sports infrastructure at the university and college level, he said.
The official said Sibal is keen on taking forward the proposal and is awaiting an early interaction with Tendulkar in this regard.
One of the key suggestions could also include making sports a compulsory activity and infusing greater share of sports-related activities in the course curriculum to bring in more competitive spirit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday