'Sachin should seek Bharat Ratna for Dhyan Chand'
Korba: Indian hockey wizard Major Dhyan Chand`s son Ashok Kumar on Monday said that cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar should set an example of magnanimity by seeking Bharat Ratna for his late father.
Talking to reporters after the conclusion of the Aluminium Cup hockey tournament here, Ashok said, "Even today, world over my father Dhyan Chand is famous as the magician of hockey. The whole country is proud of him and Tendulkar should show large-heartedness and demand a Bharat Ratna for my father."
"Tendulkar himself has not sought the award for himself," he added.
Talking about the status of hockey in the country, the former India player regretted that the sport was suffering because of the rift between Hockey India and the Indian Hockey Federation and nepotism was growing.
He further said that there were not enough astro-turfs in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Sania Mirza overcomes Rio failure; lifts the Connecticut Open trophy to gear up for US Open
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside
- Vishal Dadlani apologises, quits politics after controversial Jain monk tweet
- Toni Kroos rocket rescues Real Madrid in Cristiano Ronaldo's absence; Atletico Madrid held again
- Suspected Kurdish militants fire rockets at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport: Media