'Sachin should seek Bharat Ratna for Dhyan Chand'
Korba: Indian hockey wizard Major Dhyan Chand`s son Ashok Kumar on Monday said that cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar should set an example of magnanimity by seeking Bharat Ratna for his late father.
Talking to reporters after the conclusion of the Aluminium Cup hockey tournament here, Ashok said, "Even today, world over my father Dhyan Chand is famous as the magician of hockey. The whole country is proud of him and Tendulkar should show large-heartedness and demand a Bharat Ratna for my father."
"Tendulkar himself has not sought the award for himself," he added.
Talking about the status of hockey in the country, the former India player regretted that the sport was suffering because of the rift between Hockey India and the Indian Hockey Federation and nepotism was growing.
He further said that there were not enough astro-turfs in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6.3-magnitude earthquake hits off Papua New Guinea: USGS
- Brexit a danger to US financial stability: Treasury
- Pak group uses ‘pellet-hit’ images of PM Modi, Amitabh Bachchan for Kashmir issue
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015