Sachin Tendulkar asks nation to remember India's World War I soldiers
Zee Media Bureau/Dattaraj Thaly
New Delhi: Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar batted for an important cause on Independence Day as he paid his respects to all the Indian soldiers who fought the World War I.
A leading newspaper reported that, on the occasion of India`s Independence Day on August 15, GOPIO France held a `Remembrance Day` to honour the memory of Indian soldiers who fought the first World War. The event was held at Chennai`s Victory War Memorial.
During the event, senior members of Coast Guard as well as the three services planted a tree as a tribute to the lost lives. A total of 74,187 such trees will be planted across the country, one for every Indian killed during the war.
Sachin Tendulkar did not attend the event in Chennai but made an in-camera address to all the people who were at the Victory War Memorial. The little master also made an appeal to the nation to value and remember the contributions of the brave Indian soldiers in the Great War.
Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, J Jayalalithaa could not make it to the function and a wreath was placed on her behalf.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?