Sachin Tendulkar backs Team India as one of the World Cup favourites
Batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar has endorsed India as a strong contender for the 2015 Cricket World Cup. He said that the Indian team is a “balanced side” and will be “tough to beat” in the limited overs cricket.
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar has endorsed India as a strong contender for the 2015 Cricket World Cup. He said that the Indian team is a “balanced side” and will be “tough to beat” in the limited overs cricket.
After enduring yet another Test series defeat abroad, MS Dhoni and Co. fought back to clinch the five-match ODI series 3-0 in England with one match still to play. Talking to the Hindu, Tendulkar said, “It is a versatile ODI team. There is depth in batting and variety in bowling. And the fielding has been brilliant.”
India will start their title defence on February 15 against arch-rivals Pakistan at Adelaide Oval, in a Pool B clash. South Africa, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland and United Arab Emirates are the other teams in the group. In the 14-team tournament, the top four teams from each group qualify for the quarter-finals.
If you look at batting, there is a good mix of the right and the left-handers," he said. "When a right-left combination is at the crease, it becomes a lot harder for the bowlers. They have to find the right line. In bowling, the Indians have been bowling well in partnerships. There are some good pace and spin options at different stages of the innings.
Now the owner of Kerala Blasters, an Indian Super League (ISL) team, Sachin Tendulkar won the World Cup in 2011 and he described it as “the proudest moment of my life.” And he exuded the confidence that the current lot has the ability to defend the title and bring the trophy back home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city