Advertisement

Saeed Ajmal back in action, takes 1/23 for Pakistan A against Kenya

Suspended off-spinner, Saeed Ajmal returned to match action with a remodelled action as he ended with decent figures of 1/23 in six overs in Pakistan A's 118-run win over touring Kenyan cricket team in a practice game, here.

Saeed Ajmal back in action, takes 1/23 for Pakistan A against Kenya

Lahore: Suspended off-spinner, Saeed Ajmal returned to match action with a remodelled action as he ended with decent figures of 1/23 in six overs in Pakistan A's 118-run win over touring Kenyan cricket team in a practice game, here.

"I was playing in a match after nearly three months but I felt comfortable bowling with my remodelled action and I didn't hold myself back," Ajmal told the media at the Gaddafi stadium in Lahore, where the match was played.

The off-spinner was suspended by the International Cricket Council for suspect action in September and since then has spent on taking corrective measures working under Saqlain Mushtaq.

Ajmal, 37, bowled six overs with a different action but sneaked in a couple of 'doosras' during his spell.

"I was playing a proper match after nearly three months so I didn't bowl my full quota of overs but I felt comfortable with my corrected action," Ajmal said.

The off-spinner reitirated that he is still confident of getting his action cleared with the ICC in time to make the World Cup squad.

"Playing in the World Cup is still my primary target as it is a major event in which I want do well for Pakistan."

Ajmal, who has appeared in 35 Tests and 111 ODIs before his suspension, will play another match against Kenya tomorrow.

A member of the PCB bowling action review committee which is monitoring Ajmal's progress said there was noticeable improvement in his bowling action.

"His action looks better even with a naked eye but the purpose of playing him today was to see if he remained as effective as before with his changed action and to prepare him for the ICC bowling action test," the member said.

Pakistan is desperate to see Ajmal cleared for the World Cup as their senior all-rounder, Muhammad Hafeez has also been suspended from bowling in international cricket due to an illegal action by the ICC.