Saeed Ajmal sweeps PCB`s annual cricket awards
Karachi: Off-spinner Saeed Ajmal dominated the first ever annual awards held by the Pakistan cricket board, scooping up four awards, while T20 captain Mohammad Hafeez won the PCB cricketer of the year award.
Saeed, who had a successful tour of India recently, won the PCB best bowler awards for all three formats of the game but missed out on the prestigious cricketer of the year award.
He, however, won a special prize for best bowler of the year from the PCB carrying a cash prize of 1.5 million rupees.
Opener Nasir Jamshed followed with two awards, including the PCB T20 and ODI batsman of the year, while Azhar Ali was declared Test batsman of the year.
The left-handed opener recently had a triumphant tour of India scoring back to back hundreds in the one-day series. This is the first time the PCB has organized annual awards and chairman Zaka Ashraf said they would now be a permanent feature.
"The aim is to encourage and recognize the stellar performers of the year in Pakistan cricket and to reward them accordingly so that they have incentive to further excel in their fields," Ashraf said at the awards ceremony.
Dave Richardson, the chief executive of the International Cricket Council, also attended the ceremony in Lahore on the invitation of the Pakistan board.
Richardson gave away the lifetime achievement awards to two former captains and greats, Hanif Muhammad and Imtiaz Ahmed.
The board interestingly didn`t invite the media to cover the event insisting that the rights for the entire ceremony had been brought exclusively by a Dubai based sports channel.
Awards were given in 18 different categories with Sana Mir winning best women cricketer of the year award, Junaid Khan, the PCB emerging player of the year award, Ahsan Raza, the PCB umpire of the year award, while there were also awards for best deaf and blind cricketers of the year and best curator as well.
The PCB had invited most of its former greats and captains for the ceremony and they gave away the shining trophies to the winners.
Ecstatic to receive the awards, Saeed said they were great compensation for not winning the ICC awards last year.
"I am just happy to see that the PCB has made these awards a permanent feature now. They will definitely encourage players to do better," he said.
Saeed said he cherished the PCB Test bowler of the year award the most as bowling in Test match requires fitness, perseverance and skill.
"You have to think the batsman out. I am happy that I was rated as the best out of an attack that is considered second to none," he said.
Azhar Ali said it was an honor to be named in a team that included some top players.
"In Test cricket this was Pakistan`s best year for some time. I am very happy to have performed well as a batsman and to be named the best of the lot. This is an honour that would keep reminding me to do even better for Pakistan in the weeks and months ahead," he said.
Hafeez said it was very special to be named player of the year in a year which has seen some great performances by others as well.
"It just gives me a special feeling and a sense of pride and self achievement."
Saeed Ajmal has also won a special prize for best bowler of the year from the PCB at the awards ceremony carrying a cash prize of 1.5 million rupees.
The rest of the awards all carry cash prize of 200,000 rupees each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22