Sammy gives thumbs-up to Caribbean T20 League
Castries: West Indies captain Darren Sammy has embraced the multi-million dollar Caribbean T20 Premier League (CPL), terming its emergence as a "special time," in the regional game.
The CPL, which will replace the current Caribbean Twenty20, was officially launched in Barbados Monday. It will be bankrolled by Barbados-based merchant bank Verus International and will comprise six privately-owned franchises throughout the Caribbean.
"This is a special time in West Indies cricket as we launch what promises to be one of the best tournaments on the cricket calendar," said Sammy Wednesday.
"It comes at a time when we in the West Indies are kings of the Twenty20 format. We are the world champions and we have some of the best players in the world. Our players have created an impact all across the globe."
Sammy was responsible for leading the West Indies to the Twenty20 World Cup victory in October when the regional side beat hosts Sri Lanka in a thrilling final.
Already, a plethora of West Indies players are in high demand in the myriad of T20 leagues around the world, with Chris Gayle, Kieron Pollard and Marlon Samuels the most sought after.
Sammy, who is yet to play in any of the international T20 leagues, said it was important that the Caribbean had its own professional set-up.
"The time is right for the Caribbean Premier League. Cricketers across the Caribbean will benefit from this immensely. I, for sure, am looking forward to participating in the tournament. It promises to be some great entertainment, which players and the spectators will all enjoy," Sammy noted.
The deal, brokered by former crikcet board CEO Ernest Hilaire, will also see the WICB receiving annual funding to expand the current number of retainer contracts for players and for general developmental programmes.
Sammy pointed out that perhaps the most critical spin-off would be the funds to help develop the game regionally.
"What is also exciting for me is the number of young cricketers who could benefit from this new initiative. The WICB has done some good work on the grassroots and developmental programmes, and with additional funding more players will have a chance in cricket and in life," Sammy explained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks