Sammy surprised India did not push hard
Roseau: West Indian captain Darren Sammy was surprised that India shut the shop early and did not go full throttle for the victory in the final Test of the three-match series.
India required 86 runs from the final 15 overs but settled for a draw, ending their second innings at 94 for three while chasing 180 runs.
"With the calibre of players in their ranks, men like Dhoni and Kohli and just under 84 to get from 15 overs left, I was kind of surprised. It could be that they didn`t want to chance their arms against Bishoo," stated a satisfied West Indian captain after his team ensured a draw.
Sammy was pleased with his side`s batting, which came good at Windsor Park in the second innings.
"Batters came good in the very last innings. Having watched the way bowlers went about their task, being a bowler short, kind of motivated the batters to go out and give their best.”
"Everyone played a part- even Fidel played over 100 balls. We fought right through this Test, whether batting or bowling," stated Sammy.
West Indies, resuming the day at 224 for 6, batted for 48-odd overs on the final day, helped largely by the pair of Shivnarine Chanderpaul (116) and Edwards (30) who put on 65 runs for the ninth wicket from 37 overs.
"I am very happy with the result. We showed a lot of character, we stuck at it. Kirk Edwards and Chanderpaul did very well for the team."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum