Sammy would welcome Gayle’s return for remaining Test matches
London: West Indies captain Darren Sammy has said the team would have no issues if any player from outside joins the squad for rest of the Test series against England, signaling his willingness to utilize Chris Gayle’s experience in the remaining matches.
West Indies lost the first Test match by five wickets, and its top order collapsed in both the innings. Gayle’s plethora of experience as a Test opener could certainly provide the answer to Windies’ opening woes.
Gayle has not played international cricket for more than a year due to a dispute with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), but he said earlier this month he would not be honoring his contract with county side Somerset so as to make himself available to the West Indies during the tour.
As he was not chosen in the Test squad, it had been thought Gayle would return to the side for the one-day series against England, which starts in Southampton on June 16.
It is highly unlikely that Gayle would play in the second Test match at Trent Bridge, Nottingham, starting on Friday, but Sammy believes its selectors job to pick the team.
“Whatever happens outside this squad takes its own course. Whoever comes in we will welcome them into the team and hopefully they will help. It is up to the selectors to select the team,” The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Sammy, as saying.
Sammy said everyone in the squad and West Indies coach Ottis Gibson would welcome the left-hander’s experience and undoubted talent.