Sandeep Patil appointed selection committee chairman
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: World Cup-winning 1983 team member Sandeep Patil has been appointed as the chairman of the national cricket selection committee on Thursday.
Srikkanth (South Zone) and fellow-selectors Narendra Hirwani (Central), Raja Venkat (East) and Surendra Bhave (West) have completed their term and are not eligible to continue as per the Board`s norms.
Roger Binny (South Zone), Saba Karim (East Zome), Vikram Rathore (North Zone) and Rajinder Singh Hans (Central Zone) and Sandeep Patil (West Zone) are the members of selection committee.
Former India and Mumbai player Chandrakant Pandit was named as the chairman of junior selection committee.
However, BCCI dropped Mohinder Amarnath from the five-man selection committee panel after completing just one year representing the North Zone.
Punjab`s Vikram Rathore will replace the former cricketer as the zonal selector. Earlier, Amarnath was the frontrunner for the chief selector’s post replacing outgoing Krishnamachari Srikkanth but a tiff he had with Srikkanth might have played spoilsport.
"Mohinder Amarnath had a tiff with Srikkanth as he wanted to replace (Mahendra Singh) Dhoni with (Virender) Sehwag (in the aftermath of India`s row of eight Test defeats in England and Australia). As captain of Chennai Super Kings, Dhoni has the backing of the president (N Srinivasan)," an official of a BCCI affiliate had said on condition of anonymity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- NASA astronaut Jeff Williams' camera zooms in on alluring views of these two places! - See pics
- Nico Rosberg surprised to see teammate Lewis Hamilton finishing 3rd in Belgian GP
- See pic: Cassini captures delicate glow on Saturn's ring!
- Mamata urges people to oppose strike, government warns absentees of action
- India, Myanmar agree to increase bilateral cooperation