Sandeep Patil appointed selection committee chairman
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: World Cup-winning 1983 team member Sandeep Patil has been appointed as the chairman of the national cricket selection committee on Thursday.
Srikkanth (South Zone) and fellow-selectors Narendra Hirwani (Central), Raja Venkat (East) and Surendra Bhave (West) have completed their term and are not eligible to continue as per the Board`s norms.
Roger Binny (South Zone), Saba Karim (East Zome), Vikram Rathore (North Zone) and Rajinder Singh Hans (Central Zone) and Sandeep Patil (West Zone) are the members of selection committee.
Former India and Mumbai player Chandrakant Pandit was named as the chairman of junior selection committee.
However, BCCI dropped Mohinder Amarnath from the five-man selection committee panel after completing just one year representing the North Zone.
Punjab`s Vikram Rathore will replace the former cricketer as the zonal selector. Earlier, Amarnath was the frontrunner for the chief selector’s post replacing outgoing Krishnamachari Srikkanth but a tiff he had with Srikkanth might have played spoilsport.
"Mohinder Amarnath had a tiff with Srikkanth as he wanted to replace (Mahendra Singh) Dhoni with (Virender) Sehwag (in the aftermath of India`s row of eight Test defeats in England and Australia). As captain of Chennai Super Kings, Dhoni has the backing of the president (N Srinivasan)," an official of a BCCI affiliate had said on condition of anonymity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on