Sandeep Patil appointed selection committee chairman
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: World Cup-winning 1983 team member Sandeep Patil has been appointed as the chairman of the national cricket selection committee on Thursday.
Srikkanth (South Zone) and fellow-selectors Narendra Hirwani (Central), Raja Venkat (East) and Surendra Bhave (West) have completed their term and are not eligible to continue as per the Board`s norms.
Roger Binny (South Zone), Saba Karim (East Zome), Vikram Rathore (North Zone) and Rajinder Singh Hans (Central Zone) and Sandeep Patil (West Zone) are the members of selection committee.
Former India and Mumbai player Chandrakant Pandit was named as the chairman of junior selection committee.
However, BCCI dropped Mohinder Amarnath from the five-man selection committee panel after completing just one year representing the North Zone.
Punjab`s Vikram Rathore will replace the former cricketer as the zonal selector. Earlier, Amarnath was the frontrunner for the chief selector’s post replacing outgoing Krishnamachari Srikkanth but a tiff he had with Srikkanth might have played spoilsport.
"Mohinder Amarnath had a tiff with Srikkanth as he wanted to replace (Mahendra Singh) Dhoni with (Virender) Sehwag (in the aftermath of India`s row of eight Test defeats in England and Australia). As captain of Chennai Super Kings, Dhoni has the backing of the president (N Srinivasan)," an official of a BCCI affiliate had said on condition of anonymity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city