Sanga admits Sri Lanka struggling without Murali
Southampton: Sri Lanka star Kumar Sangakkara called on his side to find "new ways of winning Tests" after his century in the drawn finale against England failed to prevent a 1-0 series loss.
Sangakkara`s 119, together with 87 not out from Thilan Samaraweera, helped Sri Lanka defy England on the last day of the first Test ever staged at Hampshire`s Rose Bowl ground before rain, which blighted this three-match series, poured down after tea to seal a draw yesterday.
England took the series after dismissing Sri Lanka for just 82 inside 25 overs in an innings and 14-run first Test win in Cardiff.
This was the eighth successive winless Test Sri Lanka had played since the retirement of off-spin great Muttiah Muralitharan, who bowed out with a world record 800 Test wickets.
Although their batting failed the tourists in Cardiff, of arguably greater concern was the fact their attack managed just 29 wickets in the series and rarely looked like bowling England out twice.
Even allowing for the fact so much playing time was lost to rain the lack of penetration in a Sri Lanka bowling line-up also missing retired seamers Chaminda Vaas and slingshot fast bowler Lasith Malinga was clearly evident.
"Our ambition now has to be to consolidate with the players we have, the ability we have and find new ways of winning Test matches," Sangakkara told reporters after stumps here on Monday.
"We don`t have Muralitharan any more, we don`t have Vaas."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe