Sangakkara charged with level 2 offence for collision
Dambulla: There seems to be no respite for controversy-ridden Sri Lanka as the hosts were today involved in yet another unsavoury incident with skipper Kumar Sangakkara colliding with New Zealand all-rounder Nathan McCullum in a tri-series match here on Friday.
The incident happened in the 26.5 over, when after flicking a ball to fine-leg region, Sangakkara bumped into McCullum while trying to ground his bat to take his run.
The bowler didn’t like it and complained to the umpires, who reported it to the Match Referee and Sangakkara was charged with a level 2 offence for the incident.
Talking about the incident, former skipper Mahela Jayawardene said it was not done intentionally by Sangakkara as he was “blinded” when he took the run.
“It was not intentional. Sangakkara collided with a bowlers and the bowler complained to the umpire. But Sangakkara didn’t do it intentionally. He was blind when he took the run. Both the players spoke about it in the dressing room,” Jayawardene said.
This incident comes days after Sri Lanka were embroiled in a demoralising no-ball controversy in their second game against India on Monday.
Off-spinner Suraj Randiv was banned for one game by Sri Lanka Cricket for bowling a no-ball to Virender Sehwag at the fag end of the match to deprive the Indian opener his century.
Senior batsman Tillakaratne Dilshan docked of his entire match fee after local media reported that he coaxed Randiv to bowl the no-ball.
The SLC also reprimanded Sangakkara that no such incident should happen in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender