Sangakkara, Dilshan lift Sri Lanka in third Test
Sharjah: Kumar Sangakkara and Tillakaratne Dilshan hit unbeaten half-centuries to help Sri Lanka recover from an early wicket to reach 170-1 at tea on the first day of the third Test against Pakistan on Thursday.
Left-handed Sangakkara was batting on a gutsy 72 while skipper Dilshan -- finally promoting himself to opener's spot -- was unbeaten 90 as the pair added 166 for the unbroken second wicket stand after electing to bat.
Sangakkara, who smashed an epic 211 in the drawn first Test in Abu Dhabi, also completed 9,000 Test runs when he reached 28, hitting a crisp boundary off paceman Junaid Khan.
The former Sri Lankan captain is the 11th batsman in the world and only the second Sri Lankan behind Mahela Jayawardene (9895 runs) -- also playing in this match -- to cross 9,000 or more in all Test cricket.
Sangakkara has so far hit seven boundaries and a six. Dilshan was equally stubborn as he overcame a slump of form to score his first half-century in the series and only second in the last six games. He has so far hit five boundaries and a six.
Pakistan lead the series 1-0 after winning the second Test in Dubai by nine wickets. The first Test in Abu Dhabi ended in a draw.
Dilshan's elevation to the top meant opener Lahiru Thirimanne was axed while paceman Suranga Lakmal was also left out to bring in off-spinner Suraj Randiv and 26-year-old paceman Kosala Kulasekara for his first Test.
Pakistan were unchanged from the second Test.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31