Sangakkara mum on Murali, Mathews` fitness
Mumbai: Sri Lankan cricket captain Kumar Sangakkara on Friday refused to reveal whether spin wizard Muttiah Muralitharan and all-rounder Angelo Mathews are fit for Saturday`s World Cup final against India, saying the team composition is yet to be worked out.
Sangakkara admitted there are injury concerns ahead of the grand finale but did not clear the air on Muralitharan and Mathews` fitness, which has been a subject of intense speculation.
"We have a few injury concerns. We will make an assessment later today and then decide on team composition," Sangakkara said at the pre-match press conference.
Muralitharan and Mathews` injury problems have forced the Sri Lankan team to call Chaminda Vaas and Suraj Randiv as standbys.
Muralitharan has been nursing niggles through the event, including a hamstring injury, a side strain, a troublesome knee and a groin problem.
He, however, played in the semifinal in Colombo and if he plays tomorrow, it will be Muralitharan`s last international game.
Mathews, on the other hand, left the field during the semifinal with a quadriceps muscle injury when Sri Lanka were fielding.
Both the players have done well in the World Cup and Sri Lanka would be hit badly, should they be ruled out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem