Sangakkara mum on Murali, Mathews` fitness
Mumbai: Sri Lankan cricket captain Kumar Sangakkara on Friday refused to reveal whether spin wizard Muttiah Muralitharan and all-rounder Angelo Mathews are fit for Saturday`s World Cup final against India, saying the team composition is yet to be worked out.
Sangakkara admitted there are injury concerns ahead of the grand finale but did not clear the air on Muralitharan and Mathews` fitness, which has been a subject of intense speculation.
"We have a few injury concerns. We will make an assessment later today and then decide on team composition," Sangakkara said at the pre-match press conference.
Muralitharan and Mathews` injury problems have forced the Sri Lankan team to call Chaminda Vaas and Suraj Randiv as standbys.
Muralitharan has been nursing niggles through the event, including a hamstring injury, a side strain, a troublesome knee and a groin problem.
He, however, played in the semifinal in Colombo and if he plays tomorrow, it will be Muralitharan`s last international game.
Mathews, on the other hand, left the field during the semifinal with a quadriceps muscle injury when Sri Lanka were fielding.
Both the players have done well in the World Cup and Sri Lanka would be hit badly, should they be ruled out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'