Sangakkara signs for Durham
London: Kumar Sangakkara will warm-up for Sri Lanka`s forthcoming tour of England by appearing in the next two rounds of County Championship matches for title-holders Durham.
One of the outstanding batsmen of his generation and ninth on the list of all-time leading Test run-scorers with 11,151 at an average of nearly 59, Sangakkara is set to play for Durham in their four-day games with Yorkshire and Sussex next month.
"I`m really looking forward to returning to county cricket with Durham and I`m immensely grateful for the opportunity"," Sangakkara said in a statement.
"I actually made my debut for Warwickshire against Durham back in 2007 -- I scored a few runs that day so I`m hoping to make amends this time around."
Durham coach Jon Lewis added: "I said that if we could pull off this signing it would be a big bonus and it is.
"To attract a player of Kumar Sangakkara`s quality to Durham is fantastic, and I`ve been really impressed by his eagerness to join us."
"In his short stay, I`m sure he`ll be a big asset -- not just with his performances, but with the example he will show our crop of fine young cricketers."
World Twenty20 champions Sri Lanka play England in a lone Twenty20 international at The Oval on May 20 before facing their hosts in a five-match one-day international series and two Tests, at Lord`s and Headingley, in June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Kashmir unrest: Policeman injured in Burhan Wani protest dies, death toll rises to 46
- PNB Housing Finance readies Rs 2,500-crore IPO, heads to tier 2, 3 cities
- Guess which state has max urban net subscribers; Maha, Delhi tied in 2nd spot
- IOC in talks to buy GSPC's stake in Mundra LNG terminal
- UK vote to leave EU `adds to uncertainty` in global economy: G20