Sangakkara takes responsibility for no-ball fiasco
Dambulla: Sri Lankan captain Kumar Sangakkara finally took full moral responsibility for Suraj Randiv’s no-ball fiasco that denied Indian legend Virender Sehwag a well-deserved ton during their team’s 6-wicket defeat to India on Monday.
Addressing the media in Dambulla, Sangakkara, who was also in the scanner for instructing Randiv to bowl a no-ball, said: “I take full moral responsibility on behalf of the Sri Lankan team for the entire fiasco and it’s now with the Sri Lankan Cricket Board to take whatever decision they take against the offending player.”
He said that the player, who had instructed Randiv to bowl a no-ball when Sehwag was on 99, should be punished. “The player who did it should be punished as it is against the spirit of cricket,” said the Sri Lankan captain.
He also said that the team has put the incident behind them and want to move on. Though, he assured that in future, Sri Lankan would try to adhere to the spirit of cricket and would never indulge in such activities.
“We have put the entire incident behind us and want to move on in the series,” said Sangakkara ahead of their crucial do-or-die match against New Zealand tomorrow.
Earlier, it was reported that it was not captain Kumar Sangakkara but Sri Lankan opening batsman Tillekeratne Dilshan who instructed off-spinner Suraj Randiv to bowl a no-ball so as to prevent Virender Sehwag from completing his century.
Sri Lankan media reported on Wednesday that Dilshan, Sehwag’s Delhi Daredevils team-mate, who was at cover point when Randiv bowled that infamous no-ball, shouted in Sinhalese (oney nam, no-ball ekak danna puluwan), instructing Randiv that ‘if you want, you can bowl a no-ball’.
Earlier in the day, Sri Lankan cricket board was examining stump microphone audios to determine whether Sangakkara or any of his teammates had played a role in coaxing Suraj Randiv to bowl a ‘no-ball’ to prevent Sehwag from scoring a century.
Earlier, it was reported that a six-member committee of Sri Lanka Cricket would meet this afternoon to take action on the recommendations of team manager who probed the `no-ball` controversy during the home side’s tri-series match against India on Monday.
"A six-member interim committee has been set up by the SLC to consider the recommendations in the report submitted by team manager last night," a top source said today.
The meeting will be held after 2 pm local time in Colombo.
The source said the meeting will focus on the video footages of the last three balls of India`s run chase in the tri-series match which the visiting side won by six wickets.
Sri Lanka Cricket interim chairman DS de Silva will head the committee while his secretary Nishantha Ranatunga and treasurer Sujeewa Rajapakse and three other SLC officials are the other members.
Sehwag was just one short of his 13th ODI hundred when off-spinner Suraj Randiv, who had not bowled a no ball in the Test or ODI series this season, bowled one which was hit by the opener for a six.