Sania-Elena, Somdev-Treat win in doubles of US Open
New York: Sixth seeds Sania Mirza and Elena Vesnina of Russia advanced to the pre-quarterfinals of the women`s doubles competition with a straight-set victory over Russian Vitalia Diatchenko and Olga Savchuk of Ukraine in the second round of the US Open.
The Indo-Russian pair beat Vitalia and Ogla 6-1, 7-6(5) in a contest that lasted for one hour and 17 minutes.
Sania and Elena kept a check on their unforced errors and broke their rivals five times out of the nine opportunities that came their way.
The duo will take on the winners between Romanian duo of Irina-Camelia Begu and Simona Halep and ninth seeded Czech pair of Iveta Benesova and Barbora Zahlavova Strycova.
Earlier, Sania and her mixed doubles partner Mahesh Bhupathi suffered a shock first-round defeat. The Sixth seeds lost 3-6, 6-7 (5) to the Czech pair of Lucie Hradecka and Frantisek Cermak in a contest that lasted a little over an hour.
Somdev Devvarman, who lost in the men`s singles opening round against Andy Murray, also entered the men`s doubles second round with a straight-set win.
The Indian and his Filipino partner Treat Conrad Huey defeated Russians Igor Andreev and Igor Kunitsyn 6-3, 6-4 to enter the men`s doubles second round.
The Indo-Filipino pair broke their rivals four times in the course of the match that lasted one hour and seven minutes.
Somdev and Huey will face 14th seeds Argentines Juan Ignacio Chela and Eduardo Schwank in their next match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test