Sania, Vesnina enter US Open Round 2
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: India’s Sania Mirza and her Russian partner Elena Vesnina entered the second round of the US Open doubles event on Thursday.
The Indo-Russian duo outplayed the American pair of Samantha Crawford and Madison Keys in straight sets 6-2, 6-0. The victory was a huge relief for both Sania and Vesnina as the duo had lost their singles matches of the tournament earlier.
Vesnina then paired up with Leander Paes and fought back superbly in their first round clash to beat Nadia Petrova of Russia and Jaime Murray of Great Britain, 2-6, 7-6 (9-7), 1-0 (10-6).
After being outplayed in the first set, Paes and Vesnina went on to win the second set in a tie-break before clinching the affair in the super tie-break.
Sania will get her mixed doubles campaign underway with Mahesh Bhupathi on Thursday when the two take on the Czech pair of Lucie Hradecka and Frantisek Cermak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen