Sania, Vesnina enter US Open Round 2
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: India’s Sania Mirza and her Russian partner Elena Vesnina entered the second round of the US Open doubles event on Thursday.
The Indo-Russian duo outplayed the American pair of Samantha Crawford and Madison Keys in straight sets 6-2, 6-0. The victory was a huge relief for both Sania and Vesnina as the duo had lost their singles matches of the tournament earlier.
Vesnina then paired up with Leander Paes and fought back superbly in their first round clash to beat Nadia Petrova of Russia and Jaime Murray of Great Britain, 2-6, 7-6 (9-7), 1-0 (10-6).
After being outplayed in the first set, Paes and Vesnina went on to win the second set in a tie-break before clinching the affair in the super tie-break.
Sania will get her mixed doubles campaign underway with Mahesh Bhupathi on Thursday when the two take on the Czech pair of Lucie Hradecka and Frantisek Cermak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him