Sania, Vesnina enter US Open Round 2
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: India’s Sania Mirza and her Russian partner Elena Vesnina entered the second round of the US Open doubles event on Thursday.
The Indo-Russian duo outplayed the American pair of Samantha Crawford and Madison Keys in straight sets 6-2, 6-0. The victory was a huge relief for both Sania and Vesnina as the duo had lost their singles matches of the tournament earlier.
Vesnina then paired up with Leander Paes and fought back superbly in their first round clash to beat Nadia Petrova of Russia and Jaime Murray of Great Britain, 2-6, 7-6 (9-7), 1-0 (10-6).
After being outplayed in the first set, Paes and Vesnina went on to win the second set in a tie-break before clinching the affair in the super tie-break.
Sania will get her mixed doubles campaign underway with Mahesh Bhupathi on Thursday when the two take on the Czech pair of Lucie Hradecka and Frantisek Cermak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- Grand Alliance set to win Bihar election: Survey
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest