Sania, Vesnina enter US Open Round 2
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: India’s Sania Mirza and her Russian partner Elena Vesnina entered the second round of the US Open doubles event on Thursday.
The Indo-Russian duo outplayed the American pair of Samantha Crawford and Madison Keys in straight sets 6-2, 6-0. The victory was a huge relief for both Sania and Vesnina as the duo had lost their singles matches of the tournament earlier.
Vesnina then paired up with Leander Paes and fought back superbly in their first round clash to beat Nadia Petrova of Russia and Jaime Murray of Great Britain, 2-6, 7-6 (9-7), 1-0 (10-6).
After being outplayed in the first set, Paes and Vesnina went on to win the second set in a tie-break before clinching the affair in the super tie-break.
Sania will get her mixed doubles campaign underway with Mahesh Bhupathi on Thursday when the two take on the Czech pair of Lucie Hradecka and Frantisek Cermak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- I have made many fashion blunders: Karisma Kapoor
- Hyundai to bring hybrids to India by next year
- Los Angeles Police say reports of gunfire at airport were false alarm, 'Zorro' detained
- Happy Birthday Dhyan Chand: 10 interesting facts you must know about India's hockey legend
- AAP-Sheila Dikshit trying to suppress Rs 400 crore water tanker scam: BJP