Sania, Vesnina enter US Open Round 2
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: India’s Sania Mirza and her Russian partner Elena Vesnina entered the second round of the US Open doubles event on Thursday.
The Indo-Russian duo outplayed the American pair of Samantha Crawford and Madison Keys in straight sets 6-2, 6-0. The victory was a huge relief for both Sania and Vesnina as the duo had lost their singles matches of the tournament earlier.
Vesnina then paired up with Leander Paes and fought back superbly in their first round clash to beat Nadia Petrova of Russia and Jaime Murray of Great Britain, 2-6, 7-6 (9-7), 1-0 (10-6).
After being outplayed in the first set, Paes and Vesnina went on to win the second set in a tie-break before clinching the affair in the super tie-break.
Sania will get her mixed doubles campaign underway with Mahesh Bhupathi on Thursday when the two take on the Czech pair of Lucie Hradecka and Frantisek Cermak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption