Saqlain could inspire West Indies spinners, says Miller
Kingston: West Indies spinner Nikita Miller said the return of spin legend and coach Saqlain Mushtaq to the regional setup will help inspire their bowlers in the limited-overs series against England, starting Friday.
The former Pakistan player was brought in to help West Indies` spinners after a clinic at the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) High Performance Centre (HPC) last year, reported CMC.
Mushtaq`s role has been to strengthen the West Indies spin bowling department and Miller said his advice will be crucial in the series against the Englishmen.
"I analysed my bowling previously with him and we are going to go into the nets and work on a few things when we reach Antigua," Miller said.
"England are much tougher opponents than Ireland so I have to make sure I prepare myself for that challenge and hopefully I can bring the sort of form I have been carrying from New Zealand with me into that series."
Mushtaq is perhaps the first offspinner to master the doosra, a delivery that spins away from the batsman even though it is delivered with offspin action.
Miller believes players like Samuel Badree, Sunil Narine and himself benefitted from Mushtaq`s stint at the HPC last year.
Miller led the spin attack in the only ODI against Ireland at Sabina Park and returned figures of 10-0-30-2, setting the platform for West Indies` four-wicket win.
"I haven`t played here (Jamaica) since 2010 and looked forward to the challenge and playing at home," he said.
"It gives you that extra push. I think I bowled well enough."
Miller is not a part of the West Indies World T20 squad defending their title next month but is aiming for the World Cup in 2015.
The West Indies face England in three One-Day Internationals at the Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Ground.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP