Saqlain impressed with West Indies spinners
Bridgetown: Former Pakistan off-spinner Saqlain Mushtaq said he was honoured to be invited to the Caribbean to train the current generation of West Indies spinners.
Saqlain accepted an invitation from the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and has been sharing his wisdom and understanding with current and emerging spinners at the Sagicor West Indies High Performance Centre, which is based on the Cavehill campus of the University of the West Indies (UWI) in Barbados, reports CMC.
“It is a great honour for me because West Indies has such a great history in the game,” he told WICB Media.
“Many legends of the game have come from West Indies. There are many cricketing knights, including Sir Garfield Sobers and Sir Vivian Richards, and there is also one of my great rivals, Brian Lara, so I am very excited about this opportunity."
“When (West Indies coach) Ottis Gibson called, I was more than happy to come to the Caribbean and share what I know with the young players. This is also a beautiful place to be with warm, friendly people.”
The young crop of bowlers benefitting from Saqlain’s knowledge includes fellow off-spinner Shane Shillingford, West Indies teammates, left-arm spinner Veerasammy Permaul and leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo.
Saqlain said he was impressed with the players’ passion for the game, the deep interest in the art of spin bowling and their willingness to learn.
“We are working to improve the spin bowling reserves and I have seen a number of young players and a few that have played already for West Indies,” he said.
“There is a lot potential and they are all very talented and there is a lot of passion about the game - and my role is to make them more technically sound and tactically aware.”
Saqlain, aged 36, played 49 Tests and 169 One-Day Internationals for Pakistan between 1995 and 2004. He will spend three weeks working with the current crop of senior and emerging spin bowlers in the Caribbean.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- 'Game of Thrones' will have shorter final seasons
- Now Banks, malls, shops can remain open 24X7; cabinet clears Model Shop & Establishment Act
- This is what a Pakistani thinks why cow is sacred for Hindus - Watch
- Security forces kill separatist guerilla in Jammu & Kashmir's Kupwara
- DU admissions 2016 first online cut-off list to be declared today