Sarfaraz calls `mere medium pacer` Akram`s appointment as bowling coach `joke`
Islamabad: Former Pakistan fast bowler Sarfaraz Nawaz has criticized the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for hiring Mohammad Akram as fast bowling coach for the national team.
"It is a joke that a cricketer who was just a medium pacer of his time and lacks international experience was hired by the PCB as a bowling coach,"
He said that Akram, who had earlier been rejected after applying for the job, as the PCB required the coach to have at least five years of international experience, did not qualify on the set merit.
"Head of the coach finding committee Intikhab Alam never called Akram for the interview as he was referred by the highest official, even the PCB chief Zaka Ashraf also told the media that he has never met with Akram and did not have enough knowledge about him," said Sarfaraz.
Sarfaraz claimed that Akram belonged to Gujar Khan, the native town of Prime Minister, and enjoyed good relations and therefore he was appointed by the PCB.
"The former PM Yousaf Raza Gilani was used to favour Shoaib Malik and now the present Prime Minister is showering benefits on M Akram. If the high officials want to run the cricket affairs then there is no need to appoint the chairman," Sarfaraz claimed.
Terming Intikhab Alam the ``white elephant`` at National Cricket Academy (NCA), Sarfaraz demanded of the PCB chief to get rid of him and other incompetent officials.
"Such officials are misdirecting the PCB chief that resulting in poor performance both at administrative level as well as in the grounds while the latest example in this regard was the poor performance of Pakistan U-19 cricket team in the World Cup history," he said.
"It was Intikhab Alam who finalised the players for the central contracts in which the most deserving players were left out of the top three categories and blue eyed were amongst the top categories," Sarfaraz added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’