Sarwan dropped from Windies squad for third Test
Bridgetown: Poor form caught up with experienced West Indies batsman Ramnaresh Sarwan, who was dropped from the squad for the third Test against India.
Sarwan has been replaced by Nevisian opener Kieran Powell. The third Test will begin Wednesday at Windsor Park, Dominica. It will be the first Test at the venue.
Apart from the 21-year old left hander Powell, a student of the Sagicor High Performance Centre, there are no other changes in the squad.
India hold a 1-0 series lead in the three match rubber. The second Test ended in a draw Saturday.
Powell has played two ODIs for the West Indies -- against Bangladesh and India. He is the Leeward Islands opener and a regular member of the West Indies A Team.
"Ramnaresh is having a difficult time and it is best for him to make way and allow a player in better form to contribute to the team," said Clyde Butts, chairman of the selection committee.
"We have no doubt about Ramnaresh`s class as a batsman, he has proven himself countless times in the past and we are certain that he will return stronger in the near future," Butts added.
Powell has been on the first class circuit for some time. He did well for the West Indies A and scored an impressive hundred against England Lions in the WICB Regional four-day tournament but got injured subsequently.
"We believe he has bright future and this is an excellent opportunity for him to show his worth on the international stage," Butts added.
Powell has been working for the past several weeks at the Sagicor High Performance Center in Barbados under head coach Andre Coley and batting coach Carl Hooper.
Windies squad for third Digicel Test:
Darren Sammy (c), Adrian Barath, Carlton Baugh (wk), Devendra Bishoo, Darren Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Fidel Edwards, Kirk Edwards, Kieran Powell, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Marlon Samuels, Lendl Simmons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town