Sarwan eager to lead CPL`s Guyana franchise
Bridgetown (Barbados): Discarded West Indies middle order batsman Ramnaresh Sarwan says he is delighted to be captaining the Guyana Amazon Warriors in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) beginning later this month.
Sarwan, who was dropped from the West Indies squad for the tri-series involving India and Sri Lanka, says he is determined to lead the Warriors to title honours.
The captains for the six participating franchises in the inaugural season of the CPL were announced Tuesday.
“It is a great honour to have been chosen to captain the Guyana Amazon Warriors in the first ever Caribbean Premier League T20 tournament,” said Sarwan, who last played a T20 for West Indies in 2010.
“I have the opportunity to work with and lead some of the best players in the region and the world, and I am looking forward to using my years of experience to guide the Amazon Warriors to victory.”
Sarwan had been recalled to the West Indies team after a contentious 18 months but since then, apart from a century against Zimbabwe at home, he totalled 40 runs in seven matches including scores of one against Pakistan and India in the Champions Trophy.
Dwayne Bravo, the West Indies captain, will lead the T&T Red Steel team while allrounder Darren Sammy has been named the captain for St. Lucia Zouks.
The captains for the other three franchises are - Chris Gayle, Jamaica Tallawahs; Marlon Samuels, Antigua Hawksbills; and Kieron Pollard, Barbados Tridents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement