Scotland Yard passes on evidence to prosecutors

Last Updated: Sep 17, 2010, 21:47 PM IST

London: Scotland Yard on Friday left it to the prosecutors whether to frame charges on Pakistani cricketers involved in the `spot-fixing` scandal that has rocked world cricket after it handed evidence to Crown Prosecution Service.

Scotland Yard said evidence that there was a conspiracy to defraud bookmakers will now be considered by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).

"The Metropolitan Police Service has today delivered an initial file of evidence relating to conspiracy to defraud bookmakers to the CPS," a Metropolitan Police spokesman said.

"The file will now be subject to CPS consideration. This is an initial file and the Met investigation continues," the spokesman said.

Scotland Yard`s announcement came a day after ICC president Sharad Pawar said that the police investigations into the scandal "will not take long".

So far four Pakistani players -- Test captain Salman Butt, pacers Mohammad Asif, Mohammad Aamir and Wahab Riaz -- were been questioned by the police after a British tabloid claimed that the the first three cricketers took money from an alleged bookie Mazhar Majeed to bowl no-balls during the Lord`s Test.

Butt, Asif and Aamir have been suspended by ICC pending investigations. The trio, however, have returned to Pakistan following an agreement with Scotland Yard that they would fly back to Britain at any time for further questioning.

The trio have already replied to notices issued to them by ICC and have sought a date to present their case.

PTI