Sehwag hits 219, becomes highest-scorer in ODI
Indore: The dashing Virender Sehwag today scripted the remarkable feat of scoring the highest-ever ODI score of 219, thus achieving the unique distinction of being India`s highest individual scorer in both Tests and one-day internationals.
The flamboyant Indian opener become only the second cricketer in the world to score a double century in one-day internationals after Sachin Tendulkar who had scored an unbeaten 200 against South Africa in Gwalior in 2010.
The 33-year-old Sehwag`s pyrotechnics was on full display at the jam-packed Holkar cricket Stadium here as the opener racked up the score with the help of 25 fours and seven sixes in 149 balls to help India pile up a record 418 for five against West Indies in the fourth cricket ODI here.
Tendulkar had achieved the feat in Gwalior against South Africa on February 24 last year and within two years, Sehwag eclipsed the Mumbai maestro in achieveing the highest score in one-day international when he cut Andre Russell across the point boundary in the 43rd over.
His 219 also took him past the 8000-run mark in one-day international before being dismissed by Kieron Pollard in the 46.3 over at a team score of 376-4. Looking for a six, Sehwag mis-hit shot landed at the hands of A Martin at long-off.
En route to his double ton, Sehwag forged a massive 176-run stand with Gautam Gambhir in 22.5 overs, before stitching 140 runs with Suresh Raina in 105 balls to set India on course for a mammoth total.
Sehwag, who made his ODI debut against Pakistan in 1999 at Mohali, was at his dominating best right from the start of his innings as he cut, drove, pulled with utmost ease and murdered the bowlers at will and in no time brought up his 15th one-day hundred. In Tests, he has scored 22 centuries.
Sehwag was dropped when on 170 with West Indies captain Darren Sammy missing out on a sitter.
Except for the `life` gifted by Sammy in the 38th over, it was a vintage Sehwag who played his shots in his characteristic swashbuckling fashion on a belter of a pitch.
Incidentally, it was the same Samundar Singh Chauhan, the curator in Gwalior when Tendulkar scored his 200 not out, who prepared the Holkar Stadium pitch on which Sehwag made the highest score in an ODI innings on Thursday.
Ironically also, both the double centuries in ODI history were scored in Madhya Pradesh and on a pitch prepared by the same curator.
During his record breaking innings, Sehwag, who made his ODI debut in 1999 against Pakistan, also went past 8,000 run mark, at an aggregate of 8025 runs from 240 matches. He has scored 14 hundreds and 37 fifties in ODIs before Thursday`s match.
He is the sixth Indian to have scored more than 8,000 runs in ODIs after Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid, Mohammad Azharuddin and Yuvraj Singh.
In Test cricket, Sehwag has scored 22 hundreds, including two triple tons, and 30 half centuries. He has scored 7,980 runs from 92 Tests at an average of 52.15 after making his debut in 2001 against South Africa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in