Sehwag scotches reports of T20 retirement
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Virender Sehwag scotched the reports over his retirement from T20 Internationals saying he did not make any request to anyone regarding his T20 International career.
Sehwag wrote on the micro-blogging site Twitter: “Another baseless story being run! I have not requested to be rested for any match in any format of the game! Fingers crossed, raring to go! (Sic)”
Earlier on Wednesday, a senior BCCI official had told Mail Today that the destructive Delhi opener had shown reluctance in playing the shortest format of the game. He would rather like to concentrate more on Test cricket and ODIs.
"He has informed the board that he doesn`t want to play T20 Internationals anymore and would like to concentrate on the longer versions. He cited fitness and the rigours of T20 cricket as the reason behind his decision," the paper has quoted the official as saying.
"He is experienced enough to realise the needs of the team and he isn`t someone who would question the decision of the team management. Only a self-centred player would do that," he added.
When T20 came into existence it was thought that Sehwag, a destructive batsman, would excel in this format. But he flattered to deceive in the format.
In 19 T20 International matches for India, Sehwag made just 394 runs at an average of 21.88.
He also failed to fire in the recently concluded World T20, prompting many a critics calling for his ouster from the team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley