Sehwag taunts Lankans, says fear of defeat led to no-ball
Dambulla: In an apparent taunt to Sri Lankan players who denied him a century in a controversial tri-series match at Dambulla, Indian opener Virender Sehwag on Wednesday suggested that the fear of defeat might have prompted them to abandon playing the game the right way.
"If we play with energy, poise and unselfishness, we will be playing the game the right way," tweeted Sehwag, who was denied a century as Sri Lankan off-spinner Suraj Randiv bowled a no-ball at the fag end of the match.
Sri Lankan local media on Wednesday reported that it was senior batsman Tillakaratne Dilshan who suggested Randiv to bowl the no-ball.
In another tweet, Sehwag indicated that the Sri Lankans might have been "unsettled" with the thought of losing the match which India won easily by six wickets with more than 15 overs left.
"Worry and fear just make you frazzled and unsettled. And the truth is that win or lose, life still goes on. Right effort has to do with unselfishness and working to benefit the team," he added.
With the scores levelled in Monday`s tri-series match between India and Sri Lanka, off-spinner Suraj Randiv bowled a no ball to deny Virender Sehwag a hundred and the ploy was condemned by everyone as it was not within the spirit of the game. Sehwag was left stranded on 99 though he hit the no-ball for a six.
After the match, Sehwag lashed out at Randiv for deliberately bowling a no-ball to deny him a century.
Randiv later apologised to Sehwag and Sri Lanka Cricket officials did the same to Indian team management which declared the episode a "closed chapter".
SLC also initiated an inquiry into the incident by team manager Anura Tennekoon who submitted his report last night to the Sri Lankan Board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in