Selector Geoff Miller backs skipper Strauss
London: England’s national selector Geoff Miller has termed the criticism of Andrew Strauss’s captaincy tactics as unwarranted and backed the skipper ahead of the first test against India.
“I think he is a very logical and a very solid captain. He is a very rounded player and person,” Miller was quoted, as saying in an interview.
Earlier, former England captain Michael Vaughan had labeled Strauss as a ‘defensive’ captain.
“It is not just about Andrew making those decisions, it`s a team effort. The team knows which direction they are going in. Andrew is in charge and he is in control of the way England want to go forward,” Miller said.
Miller’s remarks came, as he announced the England squad for the first test against India at Lords on Thursday. Fast bowler Tim Bresnan has been included into the side, replacing Steven Finn.
Bresnan missed the series against Sri Lanka due to a calf injury. Bresnan has not played a Test since the final match of the Ashes series in Sydney.
A win by two or more Tests in the four-match series would move England above India at the top of the International Cricket Council`s world rankings and claim the number one spot for the first time.
“This is clearly a highly anticipated series between two of the world`s top Test-playing nations, and I know the England team is certainly looking forward to the challenge of taking on the number one ranked team in Test cricket,” Miller said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill