Selector Geoff Miller backs skipper Strauss
London: England’s national selector Geoff Miller has termed the criticism of Andrew Strauss’s captaincy tactics as unwarranted and backed the skipper ahead of the first test against India.
“I think he is a very logical and a very solid captain. He is a very rounded player and person,” Miller was quoted, as saying in an interview.
Earlier, former England captain Michael Vaughan had labeled Strauss as a ‘defensive’ captain.
“It is not just about Andrew making those decisions, it`s a team effort. The team knows which direction they are going in. Andrew is in charge and he is in control of the way England want to go forward,” Miller said.
Miller’s remarks came, as he announced the England squad for the first test against India at Lords on Thursday. Fast bowler Tim Bresnan has been included into the side, replacing Steven Finn.
Bresnan missed the series against Sri Lanka due to a calf injury. Bresnan has not played a Test since the final match of the Ashes series in Sydney.
A win by two or more Tests in the four-match series would move England above India at the top of the International Cricket Council`s world rankings and claim the number one spot for the first time.
“This is clearly a highly anticipated series between two of the world`s top Test-playing nations, and I know the England team is certainly looking forward to the challenge of taking on the number one ranked team in Test cricket,” Miller said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere