Selector Geoff Miller backs skipper Strauss
London: England’s national selector Geoff Miller has termed the criticism of Andrew Strauss’s captaincy tactics as unwarranted and backed the skipper ahead of the first test against India.
“I think he is a very logical and a very solid captain. He is a very rounded player and person,” Miller was quoted, as saying in an interview.
Earlier, former England captain Michael Vaughan had labeled Strauss as a ‘defensive’ captain.
“It is not just about Andrew making those decisions, it`s a team effort. The team knows which direction they are going in. Andrew is in charge and he is in control of the way England want to go forward,” Miller said.
Miller’s remarks came, as he announced the England squad for the first test against India at Lords on Thursday. Fast bowler Tim Bresnan has been included into the side, replacing Steven Finn.
Bresnan missed the series against Sri Lanka due to a calf injury. Bresnan has not played a Test since the final match of the Ashes series in Sydney.
A win by two or more Tests in the four-match series would move England above India at the top of the International Cricket Council`s world rankings and claim the number one spot for the first time.
“This is clearly a highly anticipated series between two of the world`s top Test-playing nations, and I know the England team is certainly looking forward to the challenge of taking on the number one ranked team in Test cricket,” Miller said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened